There seems to be a lot of discussion about Flash not working from time to time in Ubuntu and I to have had that problem in the past. I was late upgrading to Jaunty and after doing so it came up again. Mind you most times I don’t do a dist-upgrade but a fresh install, with $HOME on it’s own partition. This time I tried gnash and swfdec but for some sites it didn’t do the trick. So this evening I thought I’d sit down do some research and fix it.
After a bit of googling I found my way to this forum thread. It is dated but gave me a direction, so I followed the advice and did the following.
$ sudo apt-get clean $ sudo apt-get autoclean $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Unfortunately the result was the same, but all was not lost the plugin was installed I just needed to point it to firefox. That wasn’t quite it. See I had installed gnash and swfdec and removed them so I thought but there was still something overriding firefox from using the flashplugin-nonfree package. So when trying to play a flash movie from the browser I right clicked on the embeded player in the page and selected “About”. What came up was SWFDEC, and there in lies the problem.
I’m not positive at this point if the package was something I installed or loaded by default but removing swfdec-mozilla fixed my problem.
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge swfdec-mozilla $ sudo apt-get autoremove
Reload the page and we are up and running… YMMV.